Üyelik tarihi: Jan 2008
Mesajlar: 32.914Tecrübe Puanı: 1000
Grammar Period Duty
GRAMMAR PERIOD DUTY
Name and surname : Yasemin ARGUZ
Class and number : Preparations B , 139
Teacher of class : İbrahim ÇIRPAN
TOPIC : “ BE GOING TO OR WILL”
1.THE FUTURE TENSE “ WILL”
2. THE “BE GOING TO” FUTURE TENSE
THE FUTURE TENSE “WILL”
We use the future “will” to tell about future activities or statements. A present or
future certainty is given by will + base form of the verb.
AFFIRMATIVE STATEMENTSSUBJECTWILLBASE FORM OF VERBI You He She It We You TheywillCometomorrow.
Affirmative : Subject + will + base form of the verb
I’ll = I will
You’ll = You will
He’ll = He will
She’ll = She will
It’ll = It will
We’ll = We will
They’ll = They will
NEGATIVE STATEMENTSSUBJECTWILL NOTBASE FORM OF VERBI You He She It We You Theywill not (won’t)ComeTomorrow.
INTERROGATIVE NEGATIVE INTERROGATIVEWILLSUBJECTBASE FORM OF VERBWILL NOT (WON’T)SUBJECTBASE FORM OF VERBWillI You He She It We You TheycomeTomorrow? (Won’t)I You He She It We You TheyItComeTomorrow? Compare will :
We use will with an infinitive (do, go, be, arrive etc. ) : INFINITIVE John will arrive tomorrow. I / you / he (etc.) will/’ll go. I / you / he (etc.) will not / won’t go. Will I / you / he (etc.) go ?
We use will for actions that we decide to do now, at the moment of speaking : Past now I like this coat.I think I’ll buy it. speaking A : What would you like to it? B :I’ll have a pizza, please. decision We can use will for offers and promises : I’ ll carry your case for you. (offer) I won’t forget your birthday again.(promise)
We use will to talk about things that we think or believe will happen in the future : I’m sure you’ll enjoy the film. I’m sure it won’t rain tomorrow.It’ll be another beatiful, sunny day.
1.For general facts about the future and for something that we can’t control, we use will. -Türkiye will turn to a desert in the following 50 years. -My son will start primary school when he’s 7.6. 2.” Will” is used for the actions that we decide to do now, at the moment of speaking. -I am thirsday. I’ll have a cold drink. -A : What would you like to drink? B : I’ll have some coke please. 3.”Will” is used for offers and promises . -Your luggage looks very heavy. I ‘ll help you with it.(offer) -Thank you for giving me your book. I’ll give it to you back next week.(promise) 4.In order to predict the future event we use “will”. -It will be rainly tomorrow. Don’t forget to take your umbrella with you. -Doris moved to another country. You’ll never see her again. 5. “Will” is used to express speaker’s ideas, assumptions about future. They are used with verbs such as “think, know, believe, suppose, expect, hope, be sure, be afraid, wonder”etc. -(I think) I’ll pass this exam. -(I expect) they’ll come to my birthday party this evening. 6. “Will” is used in newspapers and news broadcasts for announcements of future plans. -The Minister will return from Ireland next week. -The political parties will meet at the parliament next Friday. 7. “Will” is used in requests and to tell people what to do. -Will you pass me the salt, please? -The baby is sleeping. Will you please be quiet ? 8. “Won’t” and the contraction of “will not”have two meanings. -Sarah will not be at home today.(negative future) -Sarah won’t eat this meal.(refuse) 9.For invitations. -Will you come to us for dinner? -Will we go to cinema? 10.Will not / won’t expresses that you aren’t allowed to the anything. -You won’t go to the party. -They will not go to the theatre tonight. I don’t allow them. 11.When we offer to do something. -I’ll give you a lift if you like. -My mother is washing the dishes. I’ll help her as I like the washing up. 12.For threats. -I won’t speak to you every again! 13.Facts about the future. -Christmas day will fall on Thuesday this year.
TIME EXPRESSIONS :
Tomorrow Next In
Tomorrow morning Next week In.....seconds
Tomorrow afternoon Next Spring In.....minutes
Tomorrow night Next Monday In.....weeks
Tomorrow evening Next year In.....seasons
Yesterday-Two hours ago Now Today - This morning
SHORT ANSWERPOSITIVE ANSWERNEGATIVE ANSWERYesI You He She It We You TheywillNoI You He She It We You Theywill not (won’t)-Miriam goes to office everyday. She’s always there from 8:30 until 4:30.
-It’s 11 o’clock now. She is at work.
-At 11 o’clock yesterday. She was at work.
-At 11 o’clock tomorrow. She will be at work.
A Make sentences with ‘ll and the words in brackets ( ).
Sit down. ( I /make/ you a cup of coffee.) I’ll make you a cup of coffee.
A : It’s time for me to go home.
B : ( I / give / you a lift.) I’ll give you a lift
2 ( I / phone / you tonight, I promise.) I’ll phone you tonight I promise
3 A : I won’t be able to buy the tickets for the concert today.
B : Don’t worry. ( I / buy / the tickets for both of us, and I / meet /you at the concert hall.) I’ll buy the tickets for both of us and I’ll meet you at the concert hall.
4 A : Oh no, it’s raining and I must go to the shops.
B : That’s okay. ( I/ lend / you my umbrella.) I’ll lend you my umbrella.
B Change each statement to the future “will”.
He drives to school everyday.
He will drive to school tomorrow.
I don’t have breakfast everyday.
I won’t have breakfast tomorrow morning.
Ron & Paul read the newspaper everyday.
Ron & Paul will the newspaper tomorrow.
We often call him in evenings.
We often call him in tomorrow.
Mitch doesn’t often attend this meeting.
Mitch won’t often attend tomorrow meeting.
Neil doesn’t come to class everyday.
Neil won’t come to class next day.
I go to work by bus every morning.
I’ll will go to work by bus tomorrow morning.
Kelly is a successful business woman.
Kelly will a successful business woman.
There are many interesting people in my life.
There are will many interesting people in my life.
There aren’t enough rooms for us in the house.
There aren’t enough rooms for us in the house.
This student always asks the same questions.
This student will today asks the same questions.
We never believe Adam.
We will tomorrow believe Adam.
We go to Europe in July.
We will go to Europe in seasons.
Evelyn drinks a glass of lemon juice everyday.
Evelyn will drink a glass of lemon juice next year.
Stan doesn’t play football.
Stan won’t play football.
C Fill in the blanks with the future “will”.
1. I will be (be) happy when this work is finished.
2. I am sure you will understand (understand) the problem and find (find) a solution for it.
3. The telephone is ringing. I think that will be (be) Donald.
4. I can’t believe in all those. I will kill (kill) her for all those.
5. Leave it, I will carry (carry) it for you.
6. I will be (be) twenty three in July.
7. Charlie will be (be) late home this evening.
8. I hope it won’t snow (not / snow).
9. Our boss is ill, so he won’t be (be) in the office next week.
10. I have eaten lots of things. I hope I won’t be (not be) ill.
11. Pat travels a lot. Today he’s in Italy. Tomorrow he will be (be) in Spain next day he will be (be) in the USA.
12. Ann, you can phone me this afternoon I will be (be) home.
13. Put the milk on the cup. The cats will drink (drink) it.
14. Do you think the bill will be (be) high?.
We will go (go) out this night because today is my birthday.
D Answer the following questions.
1. What will Mr. Turner do this weekend? (repair his car)
He will repair his car.
2. When will Rosemary come? (at 10 o’clock )
Rosemary will come at 10 o’clock.
3. When will you see Victoria again? (next week)
I will see Victoria again next week.
4. Where will Ted go after school? (cinema)
Ted will go after school the cinema.
5. What will Ernest do this summer? (work)
Ernest will do work this summer.
6. When will Melvin return from his holiday? (tomorrow)
Melvin will return from his holiday tomorrow.
7. How will Diana come to house? (by bus)
Diana will come to house by bus.
8. Where will Vincent go after finishing this work? (his work)
Vincent will go after finishing his work.
9. What will Wendy do after playing tennis? (take a shower)
Wendy will do after take a shower playing tennis.
10. Where will Bob be at night? (disco)
Bob will be the disco at night.
11. Who will come to your house this evening? (my brother & his wife)
My brother and his wife will come to your house this evening.
12. Which university will you go? (EGE university)
I will go EGE university.
13. Why won’t you go to visit her? (have an important work)
I won’t go to visit her have an important work.
14.Who will help me in painting his room? (Roberto)
Roberto will help me in painting his room.
15. Who will take the photographs? (Rita)
Rita will take the photographs.
E Write the negative.
1.Ray will travel around Europe.
Ray won’t travel around Europe.
2.Our team will win this match.
Our team won’t win this match.
3.My family will come to my birthday party.
Karen and Berry won’t go to my birthday party.
4.Diana will find her baby.
Diana won’t find her baby.
5.Karen and Berry will go to the theatre tonight.
Karen and Berry won’t go to the theatre tonight.
6.Alvin will like his present.
Alvin won’t like his present.
7.Gordon will go out this evening with his friend.
Gordon won’t go out this evening with his friend.
8. We will work on Saturday and Sunday.
We won’t work on Saturday and Sunday.
9. Norma will invite us to her party on Monday.
Norma won’t invite us to her party on Monday.
10.Julie will go to bed early.
Julie won’t go to bed early.
F Use the correct form of the verbs in parentheses.
1. A: I will go 1 (go) to see my friend tomorrow. But I won’t know2 ( not, know) how I can go because my car will be 3 (be) out of order, and there won’t be 4 (not, be) any buses.
B: I will lend 5 (lend) you my car if I won’t need 6 (not, need) it tomorrow.
2. A: How will you come 1 ( you, come) to work yesterday?
B: I will come 2 (come) to work by my car because, I will wake up 3 (wake up) very late. As a result, I will miss 4 (miss) the bus.
A: Will you usually get 5 (you, usually, get) to work by bus?
3. A: What will you wear 1 (you, wear) to Mary’s wedding at the weekend?
B: I think. I will wear 2 (wear) my blue dress that I will buy 3 (buy) last week. How about you?
A: I don’t know. I won’t have 4 (not, have) anything to wear. I will go 5 (go) shopping tomorrow and will buy 6 (buy) a new dress.
B: If will you want 7 (you, want), I can come with you.
A: Oh, really! I will be 8 (be) glad. I may will need 9 (need) your help.
4. A: Where will be 1 (be) my silver necklace, mummy? I can’t find it anywhere.
B: I will see 2 (see) it on your sister in the morning.
A: What? Will she wear 3 (she, wear) it without my permission?
B: Please, calm down. She will come back 4 (come back) home soon. And then you can have it back.
A: O.K, but please will tell 5 (tell) her not to take my belongings without permission.
5. A: Will you hear 1 (you, hear) the noises last night?
B: What noise? I won’t hear 2 (not, hear) anything. I will be 3 (be) asleep.
A: Really! You will be 4 (be) really tired then. Because I will be 5 (be) awake all night. There will be 6 (be) terrible noises. I think our neighbours will be 7 (be) not on good terms with each other.
B: But whatever the problem will be 8 (be), it will be 9 (be) wrong to have a quarrel late at night.
A: Yes, you will be 10 (be) right. When I will get 11 (get) to home, I will go 12 (go) and warn them about it.
THE “GOING TO” FUTURE TENSE
The sentences with going to-future are generally about near future. The going to- future is formed with am / is / are going to + the base form of the verb.
AFFIRMATIVE STATEMENTSSUBJECT + BEGOING TOBASE FORM OF VERBI’m going tocallhertomorrow.You’reHe’s She’sWe’re You’re They’reIt’sgoing tobesunny
NEGATIVE STATEMENTSSUBJECT + BE NOTGOING TOBASE FORM OF VERBI’m not going to callhertomorrowYou’reHe’s She’sWe’re You’re They’reIt’s notgoing tobesunny
YES / NO QUESTIONSBESUBJECTGOING TOBASE FORM OF VERBAmIgoing tocallhertomorrow?AreyouIshe sheArewe you theyIsitgoing tobesunny?
WH-QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SUBJECTWH-WORDBEGOING TOBASE FORM OF VERBWho What is isgoing to going toplay happen ?football ?
OTHER WH-QUESTIONSWH-WORDBESUBJECTGOING TOBASE FORM OF VERBWhatisshegoing todo ?Whereishespendhis holiday ?Whenaretheyarrive ?Whyareyouresing ?Who (m)aretheymeet ?HowamIfindmy key ?How longisyour holidaylast ?
FUTURE TIME EXPRESSIONSTOMORROWmorning afternoon evening nightNEXTweek month year Tuesday weekend summerIN1999 The twenty-first century a week a month a few daysTODAYTHISmorning afternoon eveningTONIGHT Compare be going to :
We use be going to with to + infinitive (to do, to be, to rain etc.) : to + INFINITIVE It’s going to rain soon. My friends are going to come tonight. It isn’t going to rain today. What are you going to do on Sunday? 2
We use be going to for actions that we have decided to do BEFORE we speak ast now decision speaking I’m going to clean my room this afternoon. (I decided to clean it this morning.) We can ask questions about people’s plans: Which train are you going to catch ? (= Which train have you decided to catch ?)
We use be going to for something that we expect to happen, because the situation now indicates that it is going to happen : He’s running towards the goal, and he’s going to score.USAGE
1.We use going to - future to predict the future. It is often used to talk about something in the future which the speaker sees signs of something that is about to happen. - Oh! Look at the black clouds in the sky. I think it is going to rain. - Oh! I feel terrible. I think, I am going to get sick. 2.We use going to - future to talk about what we have already planned to do in the future. - Sonia is very ill. She is going to see her family doctor this afternoon. - I am going to write her a postcard to celebrate her birthday. 3.A future time reference usually comes at the beginning or at the end of a sentence. - Today, I am going to fly to New York. - My parents are going to come to visit me this weekend. 4.We may use the going to - future in the place of the present progressive with a future reference. - Helen is having dinner with Bruce tomorrow evening. - Helen is going to have dinner with Bruce tomorrow evening.
A Complete these sentences using the correct form of am/ is/ are going to and the words in brackets ( ).
0. I keep sneezing. I’m going to get (get) a bad cold.
1. Some of my friends are going to have (have) a party next week. They’ve invited lots of people.
2. I am going to play (play) tennis this afternoon. I’ve booked a court.
3. We are going to move (move) to a different area of the town because we don’t like this area.
4. Anna is going to look (look) for a different job. She wants to do something more interesting.
5.They said on the radio that it is going to rain (rain) this afternoon.
B Rewrite the sentences. Replace the underlined part with another future time expression.(use tonight or next, this or tomorrow with week, month, morning, ... etc.)
- It’s eight o’clock in the morning on Monday, June 1st.
1.Paul is going to attend a lecture in two hours.
Paul is going to attend a lecture this morning.
2. My parents are going to visit my grandfather in the hospital in six months.
My parents are going to visit my grandfather in the hospital tomorrow.
3. I’m going to go on a holiday in one month.
I’m going to go on a holiday next summer.
4. Sonia is going to meet her boyfriend in ten hours.
Sonia is going to meet her boyfriend two days later.
5. My class-mates and I are going to the movies in fifty hours.
My class-mates and I are going to the movies next month.
6. Luke is going to make a phone call in eight hours.
Luke is going to make a phone call tomorrow.
7. The party is going to begin in sixteen hours.
The party is going to begin next day.
8. Gayle is going to meet her close friend at the airport in seven hours.
Gayle is going to meet her close friend at the airport next week.
9. Gloria and her family are going to fly to New York in two hours.
Gloria and her family are going to fly to New York tomorrow morning.
10. Tim’s grandfather is going to have an operation in four hours.
Tim’s grandfather is going to have an operation this Thursday.
C Write sentences about to future.
1.It’s Monday morning. Ursula usually gets up early on Monday mornings but she is sick.
She is not going to get up early this morning.
2. It’s June. Victor usually takes a vacation in July, but he has some health problems this year.
Victor is not going to take a vacation this July.
3. I always take a shower in the morning, but there is something wrong with my flash heater today.
I am not going to take a shower this morning.
4. It’s nine o’clock. My brother usually has a class at half past eight, but he’s still sleeping.
My brother is not going to has a class this morning.
5. It’s half past eleven. I usually have lunch around noon, but I had an enormous breakfast half an hour ago.
I am not going to have lunch at noon today.
6. It’s nine o’clock in the morning. The milkman generally delivers my milk at eight o’clock, but today he started late.
The milkman is not going to deliver my milk a bit late this morning.
7. My father always drives to work, but his car is out of order today.
My father is not going to drive to work his car bus this morning.
8. Mrs Shepherd usually waters her flowers twice a week, but she is away home for a week.
Mrs Shepherd is not going water her flowers this week.
9. Today is Friday. I usually go to cinema with my friend on Friday nights, but she is sick today.
I am not going to cinema with her tonight.
10. It’s ten o’clock in the evening. I usually arrive home at eight o’clock in the evening. I am very late tonight.
I am not going to arrive home on time tonight.
D Write Questions.
1.What / Olivia / buy / for her brother ?
What is Olivia going to buy for her brother?
2. Who / come / tonight ?
Who is he going to come tonight?
3.Why / you / not come / to the party / tomorrow night ?
Why are not going to come the party tomorrow night?
4. How / you / celebrate your birthday / next week ?
How are you going to celebrate your birthday next week?
5. How long / he / stay / in England ?
How long is he going to stay in England?
6. Where / your parents / spend / their summer holiday ?
Where are your parents going to spend their summer holiday?
7. What / you / do / next weekend ?
What are you going to do next weekend?
8. When / Nick / meet / Chris ?
When is Nick going to meet Chris?
E Here are the answers to the questions. Write each question in blanks.
1. A :How long is the party going to last?
B :The party is going to last for three hours.
2. A :What are you going to next weekend ?
B : I am going to go swimming next weekend.
3. A :Where is he going to stay for a week?
B : He is going to stay in England for a week.
4. A :How long is the film going to begin?
B : The film is going to begin at about 10:15.
5. A :When are you going to be very busy?
B : Because I am going to be very busy tomorrow.
6. A :Who are you going to wash the dishes ?
B : My mother is going to wash the dishes.
7. A :What is Zack going to write?
B : Zack is going to write some postcards.
8. A : When is he going to have a week’s holiday?
B : He’s going to have a week’s holiday in July.
9. A :Why is she going to spend ?
B : Because, she is going to spend her summer holiday in Italy.
10. A :How long is Timothy going to have a job interview ?
B : Timothy is going to have a job interview at nine o’clock tomorrow.
F Read the situations given below. Write a prediction.
1.Mr. Stone is carrying a bucket of water, soap and sponge towards his car.
I think he is going to wash the car. (wash the car)
2.Paul is driving into a service station.
I think he is going to get some gas. (get some gas)
3.The sky is full of black clouds.
I think it is going to rain. (rain)
4.İt’s noon. The Browns are going to McDonalds.
I think he is going to eat lunch. (eat lunch)
5.Sandra is carrying two suitcases towards a hotel.
I think she is going to stay there. (stay there)
6.Timothy is dialling her friend’s phone number.
I think he is going to have a chat with her. (have a chat with her)
7.That building looks really unsafe.
I think it’s going to collapse. (collapse)
8.I can’t remember her phone number.
I think I am going to look in my address book. (look in my address book)
G Look at Wendy’s diary for next week. Ask questions and answer them according to her diary.
Sunday : Go to the Sun Set Hotel.
Meet Bob there at 11 o’clock.
Monday : Attend a lecture.
Go to Pam’s birthday party at 7 o’clock.
Tuesday : Study for the exam.
Wednesday : Meet mother at the airport at 3 o’clock.
Thursday : Have exam.
Friday : Go to the cinema with Sam.
Saturday : Do shopping with mother.
Have dinner at Cafe de Ruj with mother.
1.Where is she going to go on Sunday ? (on Sunday)
She is going to go to the Sun Set Hotel.
2.What is she going to go on Monday ? (on Monday)
She is going to go shopping.
3.Where is she going to go on Monday at 7 o’clock ? (on Monday at 7 o’clock)
She is going to go to Pam’s birthday party at 7 o’clock.
4.What is she going to do on Tuesday ? (on Tuesday)
She is going to do study for the exam.
5.What is she going to do on Thursday ? (on Thursday)
She is going to go have exam.
6.Where is she going to go on Friday ? (on Friday)
She is going to go to the cinema with Sam.
7.What is she going to do on Saturday ? (on Saturday)
She is going to go shopping with mother.
8.Where is she going to go on Saturday evening? (on Saturday evening)
She is going to go have dinner at Cafe de Ruj with mother.
Complete the sentences, using the words in brackets and ‘ll or form of be going to.
1.A: It’s ratter hot in here, isn’t it ?
B: Yes, you’re right. I’ll open (I /open) a window.
2.A: What are you going to eat (you /eat) tonight? What food have you bought?
B: I haven’t bought any food.
A: Well, why don’t you come to my house? I am going to cook (I /cook) us something nice to eat.
3.A: Are you going to watch TV tonight?
B: Yes, I’ll watch (I /watch) my favourite programme at 9 o’clock.
4.A: I am going to leave (I / leave) work late tomorrow. There is a meeting at 6 p.m.
B: Oh, I didn’t know that. Well, I’ll see (I / see) you after the meeting.
5.A: I am going to phone (I / phone) Tom at 6 o’clock. I promised to phone him this evening.
BİBLİOGRAPHY : 1. HARRISON Mark : Grammar Spetrum 2, Oxford university press,
2. ÖZTUNA Mehmet : Success In Grammar, Copyright, 1990.
3.ÖZTUNA Mehmet: Success In Grammar - WORKBOOK, Copyright, 1990.
|Konuyu Toplam 1 Üye okuyor. (0 Kayıtlı üye ve 1 Misafir)|
|Konu||Konuyu Başlatan||Forum||Cevaplar||Son Mesaj|
|Call Of Duty 2 Demo||Yaso||Araçlar||0||06-25-2008 12:11|
|Call of Duty Demo||Yaso||Araçlar||0||06-18-2008 23:56|
|Ford Super Duty||AzRaiL||Modifiye Arabalar ve Motorlar||3||03-30-2008 22:50|
|Call Of Duty sis...||Korax||Oyun||0||03-06-2008 22:58|
|Call of Duty 2||LeGoLaS||Oyun Hileleri||0||02-02-2008 17:04|